Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Cabin Fever!!!

In speaking on the phone with mom yesterday in the midst of Snowmageddon, I mentioned to her that I had cabin fever. She seemed surprised and expressed that she is just fine staying inside. I too, can come up with a lot of things to do inside. I am currently working on a quilt made from t-shirts. These reminders of places lived, places visited and other life milestones of our lives make me smile as I cut out the logos while saving them for the time when I have enough to make a king sized quilt. Of course, the t-shirts that I have yet to cut are in a bag under the camper--currently under much snow. I also enjoy scrapbooking and have recently embarked on computer scrapbooking. This combines all of the cute embellishments of paper scrapbooking with the convenience of the computer. Items are layered and stacked while adding shadows for the 3-D effect of paper, but without the need to take up valuable real estate in the camper to store the supplies needed. The page is then printed onto acid free paper or just kept in a "virtual scrapbook", but to me it gives the same feeling of accomplishment. Does this mean that I will scrap the scrapbooking supplies that I currently own? NO WAY!!!!!!! Nothing says you have to do one or the other. I intend to use the supplies that I have, but use them sparingly along with the computer imaging. I have also found that I really enjoy making my own embellishments. This is accomplished with my Paint Shop Pro X3. Just scan an item and remove the background, saving as a .png file and you have future embellishments. And that brings me to another great part of computer scrapbooking--you can use the design over and over again. It isn't used up and you don't have to find a place to keep 10 of one item. I LOVE that in the camper!!!! Any space saving device is really wonderful!!!! Aside from that I have the dogs, the TV with 250 channels (amazing that with that many channels it can often be difficult to find something to watch!!!!), the computer with wi-fi connecting me to friends far and near, a Durango that will go through this snow like butter if last year's 42 inches was any indication, several books waiting for me to crack them open, my camera to take pictures and enjoy them. Heck, I could even break down and clean! I could go on and on. What I really meant by Cabin Fever was not the lack of ability to leave my "cabin" but the lack of ability to ENJOY leaving my nest in frigid, windy sub-zero temps! I get the same way when it is 100 degrees in the summer--even though I enjoy swimming. Getting to the pool when it is hot and humid is just no fun, so I feel cooped up then as well! Nothing is keeping me indoors except the ability to enjoy the freedom of nature when she is a lovely friendly 50 at night and 70-80 in the day. Those halcyon days when one can throw open the curtains, rip off the insulating plastic over the windows, take the dogs for a walk and then sit outside enjoying my morning cup of coffee and lay in the hammock in the evening enjoying the twitter of birds and the scurrying of little animals going about their missions. Thankfully, our favorite prognosticator of spring, Punxsutawney Phil, did not see his shadow this morning--so no new groundhog fur coat this year!!! Spring is on it's way!!! Phil said so...

No comments:

Post a Comment