Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Farmer's Market...

Last Saturday morning I was up and at 'em.

The honk sounded from Cathy's car and out the door I went.  We were off to the Bastrop Farmer's Market.

I am not sure exactly what Cathy was after, but I was after sweet corn and tomatoes...

We arrived about a half hour early to the delightful scent of freshly baking bread wafting through the air.  Oh MY!!!!!

And when I say freshly baking, I mean freshly baking--as in the pretzel trailer had it's ovens going full blast not only making Texas Pretzels but bread!  Yum!!!!

Cathy, being a long time devotee of the market, was known to most of the vendors and introduced me around.

I just want to take this time to say that since we have arrived here in Texas, most of the people are not only very friendly, but they are really happy people!  I think it must be all of the sunshine and Vitamin D because even the teenagers that we have met are a happy lot!  Perhaps they put prozac in the water?  {wink wink}

Anywho, I didn't get pix at the market because I was too busy tracking the scent of that bread but will endeavor to do better next time!  :)

So, here are a few of the items that managed to snag my dollars...
I found pure local honey.  Yay!  Snagged the last pint by the time I arrived there!
See the Jelly?  It is made from their own organic apples.  This is spiced apple and you might notice that the jar is only half full.  Well, when I got home and tried it on the fresh bread, oh my!!!!  She must spice it with crack or something because I am HOOKED!!!!  Can't wait to get more...
And the Goat's Milk Glycerin Soap.  The lady has her own goats and makes the soaps.  Obviously, the soaps are not naturally scented, but man do they smell good!  I mean, you had me at Pomegranate!  And the Vanilla Sandalwood with it's deep earthy scent...yum...
And here is my bread.  The long loaf it Texas Pretzel Bread.  It is braided and has a slightly sweet taste when you eat it.
The round loaf it sour dough.  This sour dough is made the long way.  They start it on Tuesday for baking Saturday morning fresh.  For those of you who have gluten issues, this is the type of bread that you can actually have due to the long processing time.  It is not a sour sour dough (like the San Francisco sour dough) but a light and softer version more like the French Country sour dough and boy it is yummy!  He also does Texas Pretzels which are the big soft pretzels but are different than the big soft New York pretzels.  These are sweeter and, well, different.  He also does many flavors of sourdough as well as wheat and spelt breads.

Okay, now I have made myself hungry so I will finish the Farmer's Market and the rock shop another day...
Fresh bread and homemade spiced apple jelly here I come!

Have a great day!



1 comment:

  1. Oh MY that looks good! I've been trying to stay away from bread, even though I LOVE it. Spiced apple jelly? That sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete