Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Menu Plan for Week of 2/27 Part Deux...The Recipes...

Michelle over at Michelle's Little Piece Of Heaven reminded me that I didn't include any recipes, so here are the winning recipes from last week... 

 Tuesday:  
Grilled Honey Chicken with Oven Roasted Potatoes and Steamed Broccoli with Greek Seasoning
This was a big hit!  It was cold and windy so I didn't grill the chicken.  I sliced it as I would for stir fry and cooked it stovetop.  HUGE hit!  NO leftovers!
1.5 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 c chili sauce (I used the Great Value brand)
1 lemon, juiced (I just used real lemon lemon juice)
3 T honey
1 T Olive oil
1/2 tsp thyme

In a ziplock bag, combine chicken, chili sauce, lemon, honey, olive oil and thyme.
Chill for 30 minutes.
Remove from marinade and grill.
(I cut my chicken into strips like I would for stirfry and kept all of the marinade with it to cook in a pan since the weather was too cold and windy to grill)
I also put the broccoli into the sauce and chicken like a stir fry and a side of brown rice.

Oven Roasted Potatoes
Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
Combine 3 lb red potatoes, quartered
1 T Olive Oil
2 tsp rosemary
Salt 
Pepper
Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until tender.

Wednesday:
BBQ Quesadillas with Fruit
NO LEFTOVERS Again!  This one is definitely a keeper!

Crock pot recipe makes enough chicken for the smoked chicken white chili too.
4 lb split chicken breasts (I used boneless skinless breasts)
18 oz bottle BBQ sauce (I used KC Masterpiece Hickory Smoke Sauce)
8 oz shredded fiesta blend cheese
Flour Tortillas (I used low carb tortillas which worked very well with much less sodium and fat and carbs)
Olive Oil
Place chicken in Crock-Pot.
Add 1/4 c water.
Cover; cook all day.
Move;  cool slightly.
Take off skin; de-bone & shred meat (just shred if you used boneless skinless breasts)  Save half of the meat for the Smoked chicken White Chili
In a bowl, toss chicken w/BBQ sauce to coat.
On each tortilla, spread 1/2 c meat on one side; top w/cheese.
Fold in half.
Add 1 tsp olive oil to hot skillet or griddle; brown each quesadilla on both sides to melt cheese.
Cut into wedges.

Thursday:  
Smoked Chicken White Chili with Cornbread
I actually switched this one and the pork chops.  The White Chicken Chili turned out Oh So Good!  Lots of it for more meals--I filled the crockpot with the chili, so there was a LOT, but we ate a LOT!

This recipe uses the remainder of the chicken from Wednesday...
(the original recipe cooks this in a dutch oven, but I used the crock pot again)
1 stick butter
1 lg onion, chopped fine
4 stalks celery, thinly sliced
3 tsp minced garlic
5+ Jalapeno slices, chopped (I used green bell pepper because my parents don't do spicy hot)
2 T flour
4 chicken bouillon
4 c boiling water
2 T liquid smoke
2 c milk
2 cans great northern beans, undrained (I used dried great northern beans (7 oz dry beans is one can cooked) that cooked in the crock-pot with the other ingredients to avoid all of the sodium and fat in the canned beans)
1 can white corn, undrained (I used frozen white shoepeg corn to avoid the sodium)
3 c shredded chicken
4 oz shredded cheddar cheese

In pan, melt butter; saute' onion, garlic, celery and jalapenos until softened.
Blend in flour, stirring to break up clumps.
Dissolve bouillon in 4 c boiling water.
Gradually add broth, liquid smoke and milk to mixture.
Bring to a boil.
(at this point if you are using the canned beans and canned corn, you can just combine everything and heat through---otherwise...)
Put in crock-pot with beans, corn and chicken.
Cook on high for 4-6 hours or until beans are soft.
Top with shredded cheese if desired.

Serve with cornbread.



Friday:  
Mandarin Pork Chops with Rice & Steamed Asian Veggies
Once again, no leftovers!  This one is a keeper and doesn't take long to make! :)  Bonus!

1.5 lbs boneless pork chops
11 oz can mandarin oranges, drained, reserving juice (I used light juice because I couldn't find packed in water)
1/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c ketchup
1 T vinegar (I used balsamic)
1 tsp mustard (I used prepared yellow mustard)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon

In a large skillet, brown pork chops; drain.
Combine juice from oranges, brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, mustard, salt and cinnamon.
Add to pork mixture with oranges.
Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.

Serve with rice and steamed Asian veggies.

These recipes are all from Emeals.com with some changes that I have noted to work with low sodium, low fat, low carb and low sugar for heart and diabetic diets.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. These recipes look delicious! I'm going to have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They all sound deeeeeelish!! :) Esp those quesadillas. Yum. Once I have more time at home, I'm going to have to try those.

    On a side note.... there's a Tractor Supply in Wichita calling your name. Congrats! Email me the address to send your gift card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!!!! I won!!!!! I really WON!!!!! Happy Dancing!!!! :)

    Thanks Oz Girl! :)))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting to see what other people eat! These all sound good! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. every one of these recipes sounds fabulous!! yum..and thanks!
    we rented an RV 2 yrs ago for our summer vacation....one of the top vacations ever...so interesting to meet the many travelers! and I cooked every night in that kitchen.
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete